i was inspired by my dearest buckaroo, tiffani herpel, to compile this list.
i have much to be thankful for.
in no particular order:
1. i am thankful that tiffani inspired me to make this list.
2. i am thankful that i am in china. it is so hard, but i am learning more about myself than i ever thought i would.
3. i am thankful that there is change in everyday life. that life isn't the same everyday. even though somedays seem to be the same as the previous one, it is always different.
4. i am thankful for my family. i don't know if they really understand how truly grateful i am for them.
5. i am thankful and so grateful for the awesomely amazing packages and letters i get from my family and friends. you have no idea how good it is to hear from home.
6. i am thankful for my friends. all of you. no matter where you are. you have helped shape me into the person i am today, right now. so thank you, so much.
7. i am thankful for the little children i teach. i have learned more from them than i ever expected to.
8. i am thankful for rice. and that there is never a rice shortage in china. i think i would starve if it wasn't for rice, two meals a day.
9. i am thankful that we have a shower with hot water. i wouldn't ever shower if it wasn't for hot water.
10. i am thankful for the ice cold water i was my face with every morning and night. it helps wake me up and put me to sleep. i never would have thought i could get used to ice cold water in the morning.
11. i am thankful for my parents. for the example they are to me. for how hard they work to be sure that i have what i need.
12. i am thankful for all of my brothers and sisters. i know i'm not the greatest sister sometimes, but i hope they know how grateful i am for all of them.
13. i am thankful for all my nieces and nephews. i love being an auntie. good work with the reproduction brothers and sisters!
14. i am thankful for traveling in china. it takes so long to get anywhere, but will make everywhere at home seem so much closer.
15. i am thankful for prayer. and the fact that: i know it works.
16. i am thankful for missionaries. for their example and dedication. you are all so great.
17. i am thankful for elder mason t. porter. and for every letter i have gotten for the past 14.5 months.
18. i am thankful that american is a melting pot and that there are so many different kinds of foods. china far from a melting pot and there is one type of food. chinese. breakfast, lunch, dinner. it's always chinese.
19. i am thankful for the guard to our apartment building and how every time we walk by he gets a big smile on his face and salutes us.
20. i am thankful for the chinese. they make me laugh so hard. i think maybe i laugh a little too hard at times, but i really can't help it. 4 men squeezed onto one motorcycle is always funny.
21. i am thankful that i have the opportunity to be in china and gain an appreciation for all that i have back home. i will never take a western toilet for granted again.
22. i am thankful for life. that it is different everyday. that there are different challenges everyday that we have to get through. and that even if we don't make it through those challenges in one day, there is always tomorrow.
23. i am thankful for skype and that i am able to talk to my family on it. being away would be so much harder if i wasn't able to talk to my family.
24. i am thankful for chinese lessons. i don't take advantage of them like i should and i am about going crazy by the end, but i am thankful that i have the opportunity to learn a little chinese.
25. i am thankful for books. i really wish i had a book to read right now. we have limited resources here in china. you see, most of the books are in chinese. it makes it a little difficult to know what the books are about.
26. i am thankful for the asians and their long fingernails that scratch my head at the washee washee.
27. i am thankful that i got my moms curly hair. i would look a lot more homeless in china if my hair wasn't curly. thanks mom.
28. i am thankful that i have a bug net on my bed. and that i don't have any mosquito bites.
29. i am thankful for the church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day saints.
30. i am thankful for the people who enjoy my photography. there are times when i question myself and my skills, but when i hear that people enjoy my photos it puts the questions to rest. so thank you.
31. i am thankful for my computer and that i brought it to china with me. i don't why i ever thought to leave it home. that would have been the biggest mistake.
32. i am thankful that the big market has spaghetti and sauce. mixing spaghetti into my meals makes me feel a little more american.
33. i am thankful for the quick-e-mart and the 2 yuan ice cream.
34. i am thankful for mcdonalds hot fudge sundae. it always hits the spot after a long day in the chiner.
35. i am thankful for catherine and the funny things she says. idear. chiner. specier. the list goes on and on. she is a jewel and a gem.
36. i am thankful for my poopey pocket pants and that they keep me warm and keep me from getting mosquito bites.
37. i am thankful for peanut butter. i have never loved peanut butter and jelly more than now. pb and j is almost as good as rice sometimes. hard to believe, i know.
38. i am thankful for the truck that plays "happy birthday" every morning while it sprays down the road. it makes me smile as i roll out of bed and marks the beginning of another day in china.
39. i am thankful for sunshine. the sun is always shining in china. unfortunately it is always behind the clouds so i never get to see it, but when i do, it is so great.
40. i am thankful that we have to walk to the market, post office, bank...everywhere. i like having a reason to get out of the apartment and see china at it's best.
41. i am thankful for the porter family. they are a huge example to me and have given me far more than i deserve.
42. i am thankful for june 26. i can't wait to see my family and friends.
43. i am thankful that i am going to delta for the 4th of july. best demolition derby-fireworks show combo. if anyone wants to come, you are more than welcome.
44. i am thankful for the girls that i am in china with. i am learning more and more from them everyday. some of the stuff i am learning is insightful and extremely useful and some of it is completely pointless, but will be useful at some point in my life.
45. i am thankful for music. there would be many nights i lie awake if it weren't for the soothing sounds of fight! singing me to sleep.
46. i am thankful that i can sing as loud as i want, whenever i want here and don't care who hears me.
47. i am thankful that when i have to get mad at the kids at school. they forget about and are always excited to see me the next morning.
48. i am thankful. for technology. it would be so hard being here if i had no means of communication other than post mail.
49. i am thankful for optimism. there is no reason to be down when the sun is shining and you have been granted another day. take advantage of it. there is only one today, live it up before it becomes yesterday.
50. i am thankful that these 50 things came so easily. i thought this was going to be a lot harder than it was. PSYCH. your turn.
until next time.
peace and love. from the chiner.